For most women, thinking about peeing properly isn’t something you do. It’s like breathing. You just do it and when you gotta go, you go. But there is a correct way to urinate! Below are some tips.
How to Optimize Your Bladder Habits
- Urinate every 2-4 hours during the day. When you’re pregnant this will be a lot more often.
- Urinate only 0-2x per night – again, this will probably be more when you’re pregnant!
- Drink 1-2 cups of water between bathroom visits during the day. Stop fluids approximately 2 hrs before bed.
- Relax on the toilet and breathe!
- Sit down on the toilet. Do not hover!
What Not To Do When Urinating
- “Just in case” Voiding
going just because you see the toilet or it’s convenient before leaving somewhere. Oftentimes, this can make sense if it’s been awhile since you last peed or you have a full bladder, but other times it’s creating a habit to go when you don’t actually need to yet. Don’t confuse your bladder!
- Don’t Wait too Long!
If it’s been more than four hours, you likely need to go. This habit may contribute to over-stretching your bladder capacity. If you go long stretches without peeing, you may also be restricting your fluid intake.
- Don’t Hover Over the Toilet Seat
This clenches your pelvic floor and can make it difficult for you to empty your bladder fully.
- Rushing Your Void
Avoid pushing or straining to get your urine out fast. No power peeing!
- Improper Product Placement
Don’t use products on your vulva or urethra area with fragrances as this may irritate your skin and urethra.
Interested in more tips on how to prevent or overcome Pelvic Floor Problems?
Download this free guide for some simple, do-able, totally-not-weird tips to take better care of your down there.
Some links may be affiliate links. The products we recommend are products we use or recommend to clients.